Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Ancestry

A while back I swear I heard my grandpa say that he was adopted. So, naturally, that got me wondering where I really come from...or even if he wasn't adopted, where I still come from. I got really interested in my ancestry, but was afraid to ask him anything about the adoption. Maybe I heard him wrong, maybe it was one of those dreams that just seemed real....or maybe its something he doesn't want to talk about. I asked a few other family members and they don't know anything about the adoption or him saying it, which makes me think I did imagine it.

So anyway...I got on ancestry.com and set up a bit of my family tree. I got those little leaves that tell you that there is more information on that person, but you gotta pay to get it. I'm probably going to get the membership, but I'm thinking about it. Not going to do it right now at this moment. I'm going to finish setting up the tree and then pay to see the leaves. My grandpa is one of the people...and his dad that has more information on them, so I am very interested in what the leaves say. I googled my grandpa's name and found a tree already set up. It goes all the way back to 1800. The branch with my grandpa's name stops with him, so I'm hoping to get it finished. I found all of my great aunts and my grandparents....it was such a great feeling.

I emailed him and gave him the tree that I found and he was ecstatic. He said that he was a little upset that it wasn't updated and I told him that I was working on that. I'm hoping to get all the information I can about his family. My grandma's too. I think her mom was a descendant of Indians as was my other grandma. I'm not sure which tribe though. I have no idea on anything about my other grandpa. I need to start investigating!!

Whether or not he was adopted, I'm glad I can help him (and myself) in the journey to learning about our family. If he was adopted, I'd like to find out about that family too. Hopefully one day I will bring myself to ask him about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment